The seed plant was opened in November of 1957 after a tough struggle to raise the
needed share capital. This past year, the plant celebrated its 40th anniversary.
The seed plant has been an asset to the community over the years. Cleaning and
treating of cereals through the first 20 years was their main business.
In 1984 the plant went through a major upgrade with the addition of a new 30 foot
scale (we could then weigh tandem trucks), metal siding, a 2,000 bushel per hour
receiving leg, and new overhead hopper bottom bins. At this time a canola
treater was set at the plant to apply Vitavax. We treated canola outside with
this unit for many years, treating 5-6,000 bags most years.
Again we had a small upgrade, adding a building to house our canola treater.
Also our cereal treater was changed to a S1000 for faster turn around. With this
machine we were able to inoculate peas. A couple more projects that we did was
to replace bin bottoms with steel hoppers inside the plant, a new indent was put
in to increase our capacity, and then an Oliver gravity table was added to put
out a better product. With the added machinery a power upgrade was also