Alberta Wheat Yields and Production to Increase

by | Sep 14, 2020 | Crop Production, Harvest

Wheat yields and production will rise this year in Alberta, Statistics Canada’s model-based principal field crop estimates for August 31, 2020, says.

Wheat area is expected to edge up 0.2 per cent to 7.2 million acres, while yields are anticipated to rise 4.4 per cent to 54.6 bushels per acre to bring total wheat production up 4.6 per cent year over year to 10.7 million tonnes.

Canola yields are expected to rise 12.7 per cent to 45.4 bushels per acre and harvested area to fall 0.3 per cent to 5.8 million acres, resulting in a 12.4 per cent production increase.

The report notes that farmers on parts of the Prairies have had to contend with excessive rain and lower than average temperatures in the early part of the summer and above average temperatures in August.