Photo: Keep it Clean
To keep Canadian farmers up to date on the market risks associated with certain crop protection products, Keep it Clean has released its 2021 Product Advisory, the group says in a news release on April 15. Keep it Clean updates this list annually.
“The Keep it Clean advisory is an important resource for growers to ensure our crop stays export ready…This advisory provides timely, relevant information on products that may pose a marketing risk for each major crop type, all in one place,” explains Corey Loessin, a pulse, cereal and canola grower from Radisson, Sask., says in the release.
The release encourages farmers to review the 2021 Keep it Clean Product Advisory at https://keepitclean.ca/product-advisory.
Some products to be aware of this year are:
- Chlormequat — be informed for use on malt barley
- Chlorothalonil — be informed for use on chickpeas
- Glufosinate — do not use on lentils and be informed for use on dry beans.
- Glyphosate — be informed for use on wheat, oats and pulses; do not use on malt barley
- Saflufenacil — do not use on malt barley
Farmers are encouraged to consult with their grain buyer before making product applications for the 2021 growing season to ensure the products they plan to apply are acceptable to the customers of Canadian agriculture commodities, the release notes.
Keep it Clean includes the Canola Council of Canada, Pulse Canada, Cereals Canada, Barley Council of Canada and Prairie Oat Growers Association.